In March 1947, the first official Covenant church was organized as Bethel Covenant Church and operated from the chapel at the Bible Institute at 245 - 22 Street East. In the summer that year, special services were held and many people became Christians. In 1950, the Calvary Covenant Church was organized in North Prince Albert. In January, 1956, the Bethel Church and the Calvary Church merged to become First Covenant Church and was held at Covenant Bible Institute's chapel. In April 1981, services at the new church at 1500-15th Street East began (our current location). In September of that year, the new church was dedicated as Gateway Covenant Church.
In North America, the head office of the Covenant Church is in Chicago, Illinois, and the denomination is known as the Evangelical Covenant Church, which is divided into several Conferences. One of these is the Canadian Conference of which Gateway Covenant Church is a part.
In Canada, the head office is in Strathmore, Alberta. Annual Meetings are held every year, and each church sends a couple of delegates and their Pastor(s) to the meeting to vote on issues on behalf of the church and to learn what the conference is doing regarding starting new churches, sending out missionaries, etc.
Our Church supports the work of the Covenant in Canada, as well as denominational projects by sending them money designated to specific areas, and some of our members have served on various boards from time to time.
“We are people who welcome all,
as we encourage each other
to know and follow Jesus Christ,
and serve our community
in His name.”
Our History Quilt
GATEWAY COVENANT'S HISTORY
Gateway Covenant Church
1500 - 15 Street East
Prince Albert, SK S6V 6Z1